- Social Security and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries have until Wednesday, April 22 to claim stimulus checks for children in their care.
- Americans who receive federal benefits will automatically receive $1,200 stimulus checks by the end of this month.
- In order to get an additional $500 for each dependent under age 17, they need to register with the non-filers tool on the IRS website.
- Veterans Affairs and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries have a later deadline.
- Read more personal finance coverage.
The IRS on Monday announced a fast-approaching deadline for people who normally don’t file a tax return but receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits.
By noon Eastern time on Wednesday April 22, anyone who gets these federal benefits and has dependent children under age 17 must use the non-filers tool on the IRS website to qualify for the additional $500 per child stimulus payment. The tool can be found here.
“We want to ‘Plus $500’ these recipients with children so they can get their maximum Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 plus $500 for each eligible child as quickly as possible,” IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig said in a news release. If you don’t make the deadline but qualify for an additional payment, you won’t get the money until next tax season.
Social Security retirement and disability recipients and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries who are not claimed as dependents themselves will be getting $1,200 stimulus payments the same way they normally receive benefits, whether through direct bank deposit, loaded onto a Direct Express card, or mailed to their home address. These payments are automatic and are expected to begin going out later this week.
Under the CARES Act, anyone who is eligible for a stimulus payment and has a dependent aged 16 and under is eligible for an additional $500 per child. Because federal benefits recipients who don’t file a tax return are getting paid automatically, the IRS is asking them to take this extra step to get their maximum payment.
Other federal beneficiaries who aren’t required to file a tax return, including those receiving Veterans Affairs benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI), will also need to use the non-filers tool to register for additional $500 payments, but their deadlines will be later this spring.
- Read more on managing your money in this tumultuous time:
- 3 options for people struggling to pay their mortgage during the global health crisis
- 4 reasons to get disability insurance, even if you don’t think you need it
- If you’ve been financially impacted by the coronavirus, you may be able to pause payments on these 8 bills
- How to get a stimulus check from the US government, which could pay up to $1,200 if you qualify
- In response to the coronavirus, credit card issuers like Amex and Capital One are letting customers skip payments without interest and more
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you’d like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
The information related to the following cards has been collected by Business Insider and has not been reviewed by the issuer: Chase Freedom Unlimited®, Chase Freedom®, Chase Slate®, Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card, Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card, IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card, United ClubSM Infinite Card, United℠ Business Card, British Airways Visa Signature® Card, The World Of Hyatt Credit Card, Citi Diamond Preferred Card, Citi Rewards+ Card, Citi Rewards+ Student Card, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard, Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite™ Mastercard, American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card, Citi Secured Mastercard, Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card by Citi, Citi Prestige Credit Card, Citi Premier Card, Citi Simplicity® Card